In 1899 Albert Burrage built an imposing mansion at 314 Commonwealth Avenue in the Back Bay section of Boston. The architect was the notable Charles Brigham. The multi-story home was designed in the manner of the Vanderbilt House in New York, which itself was inspired by the French chateau Chenonceaux in the Loire Valley. For the construction, Burrage used the finest materials-European marble, rare mahogany, stained glass windows and intricately designed mosaic tiles. The exterior has nearly 50 dragons and gargoyles, 30 cherubs, 300 bibliophiles, and lion, eagle, and human heads carved into the elaborate stonework. The mansion was a reflection of Burrage’s success as an entrepreneur and of his personal wealth.
The Mansion was converted to Condominium homes by Developer ELV Associates Inc and the architect for the project was Grassi Design Group. There are six residential units as well as ten parking spaces in the lower portion of the building.
The Burrage House is located in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston and is included in the Back Bay Historic District and Back Bay National Register District boundaries. The site, consisting of a total of 6,929 square feet, is located in the northeast portion of the block bounded by Hereford Street, Commonwealth Avenue, Massachusetts Avenue, and Newbury Street (City of Boston Landmarks Report.)